Sunday, August 3, 2008

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO! Potty Training Success!

If you told me a week ago that I'd be blogging about Peter using the potty, I would have never believed it. Yet, here I am, about to blog about one of the happiest moments in kid-raising history:

Peter is using the potty!!!!

Peter's potty diary:

It all started on Friday, June 25th when we decided to switch him cold turkey to underwear. We heard about that method but had been hesitant to do it. However, when Peter showed us that he could change his own diaper by himself, we knew it was time. Sam made the push and I agreed to do it. And it has paid off so far!

First day was obviously not perfect. Peter was just starting to learn and had many accidents. However, he would tell us immediately he needed to change his underwear. It helped that Sam and I could see when he went (hard to tell when they have a diaper on) and that we were eager to prevent accidents to save our carpets and couches. A big step was when Peter, wearing underwear, and I went to KMart (the closest store to us, btw) for him to pick out a new set of underwear. He chose Mickey Mouse - over Spiderman, Cars, and Diego. I also bought some Hanes (to match his Daddy - sorry for that 411).

By the end of day 1, Peter really liked wearing his "big boy underwear" and gave a good fuss when we tried to put one on for the night! I failed to mention that we tried to get him used to the idea of underwear by putting one on over his diaper Thursday night. Peter gave a huge fuss and didn't want the underwear on AT ALL! Strange how he did a 180 on us only 24 hours later!

Day 2 Saturday June 26th: we set the potty chairs in the kitchen so that 1) we could watch them and 2) clean up would be easier. After a showing or two of "Go Poty Go" video from the library and some lemonade...

Peter had his first success of the weekend!


Even Natalie hopped on board...



and had some success herself...


after which she exclaims "Yay! Now, I get a special treat!"

We've been rewarding with mini M&M's, which Peter calls them "Hemmy nemmys".

Saturday's success started a string of successes.

By Day 3,Sunday, June 27th, Peter had only 1 accident through Monday the 28th!

Monday's tally:

All week long, Peter has been working on doing #2 consistently in the potty but has been doing great with all his #1's. We even were surprised that over this past week, his diaper (that we still have him wear overnight) has been dry all but one morning!!!
Yesterday, we had made a successful trip to the grocery store without accidents! However, as soon as we got home, Peter went to the potty and "relaxed".
I guess our next step would be for him to conquer going to a public bathroom.

No comments: